Breaking News

I have been sick for a week, says Alexander Zverev

Alexander Zverev had a very short press conference in Indian Wells on Monday following his straight-set loss to his compatriot Jan-Lennard Struff. The world No. 3 lost 6-3 6-2 and in the press conference he said he is not going through a good time in terms of health. "As I said, I have been sick for a week. That hasn't changed, unfortunately", admitted the Hamburg native. Asked if playing too many tournaments may have influenced his health, Zverev replied: "I didn't play much this year. This was only my third tournament. Actually, yeah, I played I think the least amount of tournaments out of all players. I don't think I overplayed or anything like that. I think I just got unlucky, I got a virus somewhere, and that's how it is. You know, now it's about getting healthy and about recovering and preparing myself for Miami, because Miami is the tournament I do well in, history-wise. Here I have always struggled", said Zverev, who reached last year's Miami Open final losing to John Isner in three sets.

Recalling his rivalry with Zverev, Struff said: "I went in 0-5 into the match, lost one challenger match and four ATP meetings. So, yeah, it's very important for me. Yeah, 6-3, 6-1, it's amazing. Yeah, played a good match. He was missing some shots today, but at the end of the day I'm very happy with that."

Asked how playing doubles helped him in singles, Struff replied: "Helped me a lot. I have a great partner, Ben McLachlan with me on my side. And, yeah, improved the serve, improved the volley game. Adapt for the singles, as well, like coming to the net a lot, playing good volleys, playing aggressively. Returning is helping a lot. Like, yeah, I start playing better and better in doubles, and that helps a lot for really my movement to the net, like, serve and volleying. Get, like, easy points but fast points, like serve and then you can volley the ball, like, instead of running back at the baseline, baseline, hitting, hitting. So, yeah, it's very, very good for that."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2F2w7K4

No comments