Breaking News

I lost my focus - Novak Djokovic explains downs against Delbonis

Novak Djokovic seemed to be in total control during his third-round match against Federico Delbonis in Miami, leading by a set and a break. Then the Argentine upped his level and took the match to a third set, after winning the second set. What happened in the middle of the match? "To be honest, I lost my focus," admitted the 31-year-old. "I should have done better I think mentally than I have done end of the first set and also end of the second set. I managed to really play well last couple games of the first set, go up a break, put myself in front, then I played a couple of really bad service games. Credit to Federico, he stepped in. He was the one controlling the pace. I backed up. I didn't have that much depth and power in my shots, and he used it. He stepped in, didn't have anything to lose. I think first two, three games of the third set were crucial, really fighting, trying to be present, regain the positioning on the court more than anything. I think last four games have been terrific, so I ended up in a positive way."

Djokovic also analyzed how different the Hard Rock Stadium is to Key Biscayne: "Obviously, the wind was always a factor in Key Biscayne. It was very strong. It was very humid and warm. Here, because of the big football stadium, it feels like you're playing kind of an indoor match. You don't really feel much wind on the court. Today it was there slightly from one end, but it's completely different in terms of wind and sun. There is no sun after 1 p.m. on the center court. It's great for tennis. I think also the absence of sun and wind make the conditions slightly slower, as well. It's not as easy to hit through the court. You got to work a bit more for your points."

On Tuesday, the world no. 1 will play the 22nd seed Roberto Bautista Agut in the pre-quarter-final. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HL54qm

No comments