Breaking News

Novak Djokovic may have played his worst matches ever a year ago - Expert

In an interview to Sky Sport, the former Italian player Filippo Volandri recalled Novak Djokovic's bad momentum 12 months ago when he was trying to come back from elbow surgery. "Between here and Miami he may have the worst matches in his career", Volandri said referring to the losses against Taro Daniel and Benoit Paire. "He may not have improved that much on the forehand or backhand side but he is focused and determined again. He is back as the old one."

On Djokovic and Fabio Fognini winning in doubles, Volandri added: "It was so funny. After commenting on the matches I came back to the hotel I watched it although it was pretty late in Italy. They were down 5-1 in the first set but after that Fabio may have led Nole to a comeback. It was a doubles match played with a right fighting spirit, it was funny."

Volandri also feels confident for the future of tennis once Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal retire: "Seeing players like Tsitsipas and Auger-Aliassime is a look to the future. They will definitely be part of the future of tennis."

Volandri finally recalled his win over Federer at the 2007 Rome Open: "I am a player who never celebrated in a too crazy way. I was always calm. But there I got carried away, I wanted the entire clay on my skin and I wanted to share that match with all the people who were there and I high fived all the people on the first row. I shook Federer's hand as soon as possible in order to pay respect to him and then celebrate it with the crowd."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2UvZUBc

No comments