Breaking News

Novak Djokovic targets Indian Wells doubles title after early singles exit

World No. 1 Novak Djokovic said it "was just one of those days" after suffering an early singles exit at tbe BNP Paribas Open. 

Top-seeded Djokovic picked up a surprise Indian Wells Masters third round loss against Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-4 6-4. 

The German broke the Serb in the seventh game of the first set and then held on to his serve to clinch the opener. 

Kohlschreiber was up by a double break in the second set but Djokovic managed to get one back when the German was serving for the match in the eighth game. 

But Kohlschreiber made no mistakes when serving for the match in the 10th game. 

Djokovic converted just 1-of-5 of his break point chances and saved 1-of-4 of Kohlschreiber's break point opportunities in an hour and 38 minutes of play. 

"To be honest, I don't enjoy losing, nobody does, but especially in a tournament like this, a tournament where I have had plenty of success in the past," Djokovic said post-match, per Reuters. 

"I thought I was in good form. I was practicing well. But it just happens, one of those days. You just have to deal with it, move on, turn the next page.

"I had to get over it in an hour, because I played doubles. I must admit I was thinking about it... but it's part of our world, and we just have to bounce back very quickly."

Djokovic and his Italian partner Fabio Fognini booked a doubles semi-final spot after edging out Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau 7-6 (6) 2-6 10-6. 

Djokovic has underlined that his goal now is to win the Indian Wells doubles title. 

"Miami is the next tournament singles-wise for me. I'm going to try to go all the way here in doubles. I'm really excited about that. And get some good practice in," Djokovic claimed, per Tennis Now Twitter.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Hx628B

No comments