Breaking News

Rafael Nadal was an absolute beast when I saw him training, says Giron

In an interview, as quoted by The Desert Sun, Marcus Giron recalled when he saw one of Rafael Nadal's practice sessions in Indian Wells. Giron had been one of the most surprising players in the tournament, after qualifying for a place in the main draw. Recalling his experience as a spectator at one of the BNP Paribas Open editions, the American player said: "I was blown away by how nice it was and how good the top players were and how good everybody was, not just the top players. I remember seeing Rafa practice for the first time and just never seeing a forehand like that. And I remember thinking 'So that's how you win all those French Opens.' He was next level, an absolute beast."

On the huge week he had had in Indian Wells, Giron added: "I did not expect to be in the third round. I have had a good year so far in challengers and won a lot of matches, and I think that's helped a lot with confidence and trusting my ability in important points in matches. But I wasn't expecting to be here in the third round, but I'm here and I'm very excited. Just qualifying and just playing in a Masters 1000 was amazing. Obviously, I was the major underdog here. I took it seriously, of course, but went out there to have fun and enjoy it, but also compete hard and hopefully leave with a win. I kind of can't believe I won the match to be honest, especially with the first set going the way it did. I just thought, 'Well, this kind of sucks. I would've loved the run to keep going.' but it's awesome to still be in here and be one of the last 32."

Giron lost an entertaining third round to the 13th seed Milos Raonic on Tuesday. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2FbveQM

No comments