Breaking News

We remember more Federer, Nadal and Djokovic than women - Sabatini

Gabriela Sabatini commented on the balance there currently is in the women's tennis. In a press conference. the Argentinean said: "It's true that there are many more women who win every week. There is a new name appearing in the media. New girls are in the last rounds of the tournaments. But for me, it's not negative. I see this as something rather positive to have a permanent renewal of the players. So indeed it's more difficult to memorize the names of the players. But Naomi Osaka, we know her, we remember her. She reached the finals of the US Open last year. Yes, there is a difference indeed between male and female tennis. We more remember the names of the male players -- Federer, Nadal, Djokovic -- they are over 30 years old. On the women's tour, the winners are in their 20s. But for me, it's not negative. It's positive to see new players emerging, to see new types of players. It's good."

On how it feels to get the Philippe Chatrier award, she added: "This award, I'm very grateful for it, because tennis has given me a lot, much more than I gave myself to tennis. And what I am today, what I can do today, is thanks to tennis. Tennis has opened my mind, has enabled me to travel, and today I love traveling. All these small things I did privately, secretly, I did them because I like doing them, because it's a form of recognition for all these years I have experience in the world of tennis. And then the charity or the tennis associations, I know them all. All the former tennis players, men and women, are getting involved, so I want to get involved, too. The idea is to be present, to support. I have no specific task in mind, but it's just being present, working on female tennis maybe, and seeing how we can work on the development of this female tennis in Argentina."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2WU7yWp

No comments