Breaking News

Gael Monfils: 'It's open when we do not face Federer, Nadal or Djokovic'

Gael Monfils defeated Pablo Andujar in a straight-sets, fourth-round match at the US Open. The Frenchman prevailed 6-1 6-2 6-2 and in the press conference, he showed his satisfaction: "I was happy because my plan was very good and I hit big shots," said Monfils. On his next opponent Matteo Berrettini, he added: "He's got a big serve. Crushes the forehand. He's a great athlete. Great mover for his height. Tough one, someone who hits big from the back. Uses his serve and his forehand. I think that when we do not face Federer, Nadal or Djokovic, it's open. But no, it will be a great match."

Monfils loves competing at the US Open: "I play great tennis here, very great tennis. Always say that I love the atmosphere. I love the energy. The energy is very important... Definitely those stadiums here in New York are [some] of the best for my game and for my personality. I feel very comfortable, so I think that's why I always play great tennis here."

Andujar said: “I have always believed that my game could fit [on a hard court], but it's also true that I don't play a lot on hard court. I mostly base my calendar on clay-court tournaments."

Monfils will play Italy's Matteo Berrettini in the quarter-final. Berrettini defeated Andrey Rublev in the fourth round. This is the first time in 42 years that an Italian male player has reached this far at the US Open. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2zPKm2t

No comments