Breaking News

Future of tennis in good hands beyond Federer, Nadal, Djokovic - Cilic

In a column for a Brazilian website, Marin Cilic spoke about the season he and other players went through.

The Croat shared interesting opinions on the game in general: "For me, the end of the season is one of the most interesting parts during the year," wrote Cilic. "Grand Slams ended since a long time. The end of the year is interesting to see what can happen in the following season. This year in Paris, Denis Shapovalov and Grigor Dimitrov did great. Denis is a consistent threat on the court. With his maiden career-title and Paris final, he wants to come back stronger. Grigor had ups and downs, but in the US Open and in Paris he got significant wins to show everyone what he is capable of. In London, at the ATP Finals, we got a very clear message: the future of tennis is in good hands. After Rafa clinched his year-end No. 1 rankings spot above Novak Djokovic, the younger guys took the main stage at the O2 Arena. In the final, Dominic Thiem and Stefanos Tsitsipas fought like veterans and the Greek conquered his biggest career title. Tsitsipas will have an interesting 2020 year, without a doubt. On a personal note, after an inconsistent season, I am ready to relax and recharge energies. Once my holidays end, I will spend my time being totally involved with the Marin Cilic Foundation. Also, 2020 will be a learning year as my wife and I are expecting our first child. With 2019 coming to an end, I want to thank everyone for the support they gave me during the year."

Cilic struggled significantly in the 2019 season and even exited the top-15 ranking for the first time in five years. 

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/34HigEt

No comments