Breaking News

Marat Safin Open to Interesting Projects in the Future

Former Australian Open champion Marat Safin says he is open to opportunities in the future as long as they are interesting, as he returns to Australia as captain of the Russian team in the inaugural ATP Cup in January. Safin will lead the Russian team which will likely comprise of World No. 5 Daniil Medvedev and Karen Khachanov in what would be his first trip to Australia in more than a decade. Russia have been drawn to play Italy, USA and Norway in their group stage matches in Perth.

Safin says, "I will not say which area I would take [next] ... but I'm definitely open to any opportunities. I would look at any types of projects but it would have to be interesting."

On his role as captain of the team, Safin says, "Unfortunately not everybody can play for Russia, but still we have a great team ... the situation is amazing. For me, it will be a pleasure if I could help in some way ... I can see the potential here."

Speaking about his win at the Australian Open, Safin says, "I had only one grand slam and for me, it was an obsession to win a second one. It was one I truly enjoyed while playing but I really enjoyed when I won it. It was a tricky situation [playing against Hewitt in Australia]. Against Hewitt I felt really fresh ... he was playing at his home tournament and he was pumped. But he had played a lot of five-set matches so he was not really fresh against me."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Yclduj

No comments