Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'In 2016 I never thought about retirement by any means'

Roger Federer recalled the tough 2016 season he went through. The Swiss had suffered a knee injury in the earlier part of the season after the Australian Open, then he came back but in July he decided to come back in 2017.

Federer said: "Any injury at - I don't know how old I was at the time, I think 35 - becomes scary, and it could mean the end. I knew that my meniscus injury was not gonna be an injury that was gonna keep me out for the rest of my career. I knew that if I wanted to, I could come back and at least play with pain or finish with a few tournaments played, if I really wanted to add the operation, then would haven't gone well. But it did and I gave myself enough time to come back but then I did have complications and my knee was always getting swollen and it was always a problem for me for the entire summer and that's when unfortunately I had to pull out of Rio Olympics, US Open, World Tour Finals, everything just had to collapse after Wimbledon and it gave me six months of time to really get ready for '17 and I think it was a great decision for me to take and it showed me that you do not have to think of the next week, sometimes you have to think, Well, missing six months in a 20-year career all of a sudden doesn't sound so much, so you have to be able to take a step back and I was able to do that and I came back super strong, rejuvenated, happy, my knee was totally healed and then tennis was fun again, so I honestly did not think of retirement by any means."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Y3TcoP

No comments