Breaking News

Novak Djokovic: I'd love to test my abilities as a mentor, coach

17-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic reveals he would like to become a coach once his playing days are over as the Serb insists he wants to stay in the game even after he retires from professional tennis. 

Djokovic, 33, is still playing at an extremely high level and regularly competing for the biggest titles. 

The Serb recently lost to world No. 2 Rafael Nadal in the French Open final but he is still hopeful of achieving the all-time Grand Slam record and historic No. 1 ranking.

"As far as international travel goes -- absolutely. I would love to travel to tournaments without pressure. Without having to think how I much I need to practice, what is the best way to prepare myself etc. It is going to be a huge pleasure for me, I am not one of those players that is fed up with tennis and cannot wait to never see the court again (once my playing career is over). It is quite the opposite actually -- I love tennis and I would love to test my abilities as a mentor and as a coach," Djokovic said, per Sasa Ozmo. 

Djokovic suffered a shock loss in Vienna 

On Friday, the most shocking scoreline of the season came in Vienna as world No. 42 Lorenzo Sonego absolutely dominated No. 1 seed Djokovic 6-2 6-1.

"He just blew me off the court, that's all," Djokovic said after the match, per the ATP website.

"He was better in every segment of the game... it was a pretty bad match from my side, but amazing from his side. He definitely deserved this result."

Djokovic came to Vienna hoping to earn a few points and before the Sonego match, he had already secured the year-end No. 1 ranking.

"Yes, clinching the No. 1 had an effect on me today. I’ve done what I came here for, securing the number 1. And I move completely fine with today’s result. I'm healthy and looking forward to a strong finish in London," Djokovic admitted, per Carole Bouchard.

Sonego claimed two breaks in the first set, three breaks in the second set, all while not losing a single service game to beat Djokovic in two sets.

"I don‘t know if Djokovic played his best match. But for me, it was important for the future to gain experience," Sonego said after the biggest win of his career.



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/35Z8YWc

No comments