Breaking News

Roger Federer: 'Do I sound like an 80-year-old person who looks back...'

The next three months will be crucial for Roger Federer's ambitions, with the Wimbledon-Tokyo Olympics-US Open triptych that could truly represent the latest effort in his career. The Swiss phenomenon will present himself at Roland Garros having played only three matches in the last and a half, obviously conditioned by the pandemic and the two knee operations he underwent in 2020. The former world number 1 seemed more physically ready for the week last in Geneva, but still struggled a lot to oil its mechanisms, ending up giving in to the not irresistible Spaniard Pablo Andujar. When Wimbledon is about a month and a half away, my doubts are growing about his real chances of winning. The 39-year-old from Basel is trying not to rush, knowing that it would not be easy to get competitive again after such a long stop. Moreover, the Swiss legend will turn 40 in just over two months. Interviewed by 'GQ Magazine' in recent days, the 20-time Grand Slam champion reflected on the enormous amount of time spent on the tour.

Roger Federer on turning 40

"I can't believe I'm 39, to be honest," Roger Federer said. "Turning 40, it's like my life has gone by on the tour. I've enjoyed so many moments, I've had some tough moments, of course. I've been tired. I was hurt. I was sick. I've played with all sorts of issues. But I feel like juniors were yesterday. Do I sound like an 80-year-old person who looks back at their childhood as their favorite part?" Roger Federer then turned his attention to a photograph from his teenage days, where he was seen sporting a blonde look. "I mean, it’s a classic teenage guy having a lot of pimples and wanting all sorts of different hair colors," Federer said. "My next move was going to be the red hair, but then I somehow didn’t do it. And then after that, I let it grow out, I cut it off, and then I had long hair after that." The World No. 8 further explained why he had a poster of Pamela Anderson on his door. "I had Shaquille O’Neal on a huge poster," Federer said. "I had Pamela Anderson because we were always watching Baywatch and 21 Jump Street. French Open is one of the oldest tournaments in tennis history. Originally reserved for French tennis club members in the early 1900s, the tournament soon joined its counterparts in Wimbledon, Australian Open, and US Open in becoming a Grand Slam in 1925. Yet like other Slams, it has carved out its own history and prominence. Recently French Open 2021 showcased its Roland Garros history as the tournament moved towards its 125th edition. The video showcased the transition the tournament has had. From the gates of the Stade Roland Garros to the stands and counters near stadiums. The video acted as a time capsule showcasing how much the Grand Slam has changed and has kept its traditions as well.

 

from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3g4nhOz

No comments