Breaking News

Roger Federer: "Retirement? No, I want to win again"

After the long break and the surgery on his right knee, Roger Federer played two tournaments in 2021 and next week he will participate at the Roland Garros 2021, the second Grand Slam of the year. The Swiss champion took to the court in Doha and Geneva.

In the Qatari event he reached the quarter-finals and lost to Nikoloz Basilashvili, later winner of the tournament; in the home tournament he gave up in three sets to the Spaniard Pablo Andujar. In an interview with GQ, Federer talked about his future and his ambitions.

Retirementl? I don't know, I'm really calm about my career and my life. And I know this moment is one last great, huge opportunity to do something exceptional. It is always like this when you have achieved all that I have achieved. I don't want to be misunderstood: I want to win even more. Otherwise, I would not have spent the whole year undergoing surgery, walking with crutches and respecting a long rehabilitation.

Roger Federer: "Retirement? No, I want to win again"

I really believe I can win again, but first I have to prove to myself that the body can support me; the mind is ready. I can't believe I'm 39, to be honest. I'm turning 40. It's like I've spent my life traveling around the Tour. I had a lot of fun, even though I had some difficult times. I've been playing around with all kinds of problems.

I look like an 80-year-old person who looks to his childhood as his favorite part of him (he laughs, ed). You have to find a way to be happy on the Tour, because there are many things at stake: the points, the money, the fame, the victories, the media.

Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with all these things even with social networks. I'm glad that somehow my education on the Tour was a little more normal. In general, it is important to have a mental balance. In the world of sports it happens many times: you make your dream come true and then you wonder if you can still push yourself further. You become number five in the world, but aim to be number one. It is not easy to manage all of this; it's very, very difficult."



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3bY42os

No comments