Breaking News

Sebastian Korda reacts to winning maiden ATP title in Parma

Rising American star Sebastian Korda couldn't hide his happiness after lifting his maiden ATP title in Parma. 

Korda, 20, overcame home favorite Marco Cecchinato in straight sets 6-2 6-4 in the Parma final. 

Korda, ranked at No. 63 in the world, made his maiden ATP final earlier this year at the Delray Beach Open. 

Back then, Korda suffered a straight-set defeat in the Delray Beach final to Hubert Hurkacz. 

This time, Korda delivered a great performance in the final and ended up lifting his maiden ATP title. 

“This is something that I’ve dreamed of,” Korda said in his post-match press conference, per the ATP website. “I really thought I was going to get it done in Delray Beach [earlier this year], and I was a little heartbroken.

“But I stayed positive, even with such a bad first part of the clay-court season. I took a couple of days off, recharged my batteries, and had a really good practice week in Prague with my dad and my coach. I came back hungrier, and I’m playing some really good tennis now.”

Korda dominated Cecchinato 

Korda earned the first break of the match in the fourth game and served out the following game to take a 3-1 lead. 

The American then claimed his second break in the eighth game to seal the opening set. 

Cecchinato served better in the second set as he saved a break point in the fourth game and the two players were tied four games apiece after the eight games in the second set. 

But Cecchinato failed to serve out the 10th game to stay in the match as Korda booked a straight-set win. 

“Today I played a really tough opponent and the crowd wasn’t easy,” Korda said. “They kept cheering him on, but I’m really proud of myself and how I handled it.”



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3c6ngbo

1 comment: