Breaking News

I have respect and admiration for Serena Williams, says Steffi Graf

In an interview to Nine, the 22-time Grand Slam winner Steffi Graf praised Serena Williams' comeback to competitive tennis after motherhood. During the Australian Open, Graf said: 'What she has accomplished, I have nothing but respect and admiration. When I see what she achieves and now having a child and still being out there and determined. Just an incredible competitor and she is not done yet.'

Graf travelled on Tour with her son and her daughter during the late years of Andre's career: 'It was a different challenge, travelling with young kids and I can't even imagine being on the court and playing.'

Reflecting on the transition from professional activity to retirement, Graf added: 'Very different life. It felt really good stepping away from it. I think it was a great time in my life, and I felt like I gave my sport everything I had and I was really ready for the next stage in life. Once in a while we get out on the court the body does not quite feel like once anymore, but it's been very placed.'

Serena's quarter-final opponent at the Australian Open Karolina Pliskova said that having belief was the key to win: 'I've been really feeling well. I don't see any reason why I should really do mistakes. Of course, somebody is going to put pressure on you, so then you do some mistakes. That's normal. But from myself, you can be still nervous, but I feel like I can control my hands actually in this tournament, and I can control the mistakes. Still, I don't want to be too passive. I don't think I'm that passive, but still I don't miss that much.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2DDrNl5

No comments