Breaking News

Federer: I could have earned more money playing more events, but I didn't

Roger Federer has always been a master when it comes to scheduling tournaments and that's one of the main reasons why he is still able to play at the highest level at 37 years of age. "I always thought of wanting to play as long as possible," said Federer. "Since 2004, when I became (the) world no. 1, me and my fitness trainer decided to have a long-term schedule. I could have earned more money playing more tournaments and matches but I always chose not to play more than 20 tournaments a year. If you look back, Yevgeny Kafelnikov used to play 30 or 32 tournaments. I never wanted to do that. If I play, I want to do well, injury-free. I love the game and in the end, my schedule paid off because I am still competitive and healthy. I still feel I can improve my game and reinvent myself."

Federer went some through times. He was once alleged to have tanked a match: "My first appearance was not that happy in Dubai. In 2002 I got criticized for not giving myself my best shot. It was hard because I was in the second round both in singles and doubles. I did not play well the last two games, but that was a fast court and people can note it straight forward and in the way they get interested... Rainer was the better player in that match. The year after, I came back and I won the title. I really feel I had to show something after that thing. I felt the support from my fans there," he concluded.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2Uh94EW

No comments