Breaking News

Ashleigh Barty ‘as good as gold’ in a milestone week

Ash Barty has continued her sensational form to power into the biggest final of her career at the Miami Open.

The highest ranked Australian had to patiently wait through several rain delays and work her way back from breaks down to march into the final with a straight set 6-3, 6-3 victory against 21st seed Anett Kontaveit. The pair spent one hour and 17 minutes on court but the match spread across six and a half hours.

“It’s a very long day. You know, obviously the weather is something that we can't control, and a little bit frustrating that a couple of times we got on, it was a pretty quick shower straightaway. But, yeah, something you can't control. You just have to try and sit back and kind of make the most of the time you have off the court and know that once you do get back on you have to switch on straightaway,” Barty told media after the match.

She added: “It wasn’t very stressful for me. We had a room up at the top and we were just watching the golf, the match play that's on at the moment, which was nice to kind of switch off a little bit. You know, we could see how quickly the courts were drying. So for me it was a matter of 15, 20 minutes before I thought we'd be back on, just go and warm up and get ready again."

Barty secured her top ten berth earlier in the quarterfinals with a drought breaking win against Petra Kvitova.

“I think with the cards we were dealt at the start of the week, I'm so proud of myself and my team for trusting the process and enjoying the journey. I think we have had some amazing opportunities on the court to do some pretty special things,” she said.

“I think now we have another opportunity in a couple days' time to go out there and try and play a really good match. Obviously it's another chance at a title. Really excited to be in this position.”

As for her physical condition, in Barty’s words she is “Good as gold.”

"I'm very lucky to have my team with me here this week. Tyz, my trainer and physio, as well. I'm being extremely spoilt this week and well looked after."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2HLaGRB

No comments