Breaking News

Roger Federer shares how getting inspired from legends motivated him

In a press conference, Roger Federer commented on how getting inspired by fellow legends helped him to keep being motivated and stay at the top for a long time. The Swiss said: "I understood pretty quickly how it was extremely different to win something for the first time and then coming back to defend the title the following year. Once you reach a certain level, I tried to look at many other athletes to find the right motivation. People like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Valentino Rossi, Michael Schumacher, who managed to stay at the top for so long, win so many times that you ask yourself, How did they manage to do all this? Step by step you realize you are part of this group and year after year you get closer to these people. They have been a big inspiration for me in order to keep working hard."

On how it felt to always play on central courts, Federer added: "I was very lucky, also because I was scheduled at the prime time and I think it would have been difficult for me, having played in all these amazing stadiums around the world, to play in front of a little crowd."

"Your parents' support is the key and their advice are very important. It makes you understand that being able to attend tennis lessons and playing tournaments is a privilege. You just have to give your best and havee a good attitude. In the same time, parents need to let their son and coach do the job and so travels alone. Parents should not behave as babysitters. That's why when my parents tell me they would like to come to every tournament on tour, I answer, Of course, come to see me. I am not sad to spend every day with you. If instead, they told me, No, we do not want to come because we do not like it, I would be okay with it as well. That's how many parents should behave, without putting too much pressure on their sons. I do not know if my sons will ever play on a professional level. Honestly, I think it depends on how things will go when we get settled in Switzerland and what sport they would like to play. But enjoying regardless of what sport you play is the key."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2FziSke

No comments