Breaking News

Tarpischev explains how doping ban influenced Maria Sharapova

In an interview to TASS, Russia's Tennis Federation chief Shamil Tarpischev commented on Maria Sharapova dealing with an ongoing shoulder injury. The Russian player warned she may not compete in Stuttgart and comeback only in Madrid in May. "The current Maria Sharapova's injuries have been carried along since the first shoulder surgery. Then there was a break associated to the doping cases, and so then they had to fasten up the preparation - the body was not used to the effort anymore. Now, even the age is taking its toll, but the main thing is the desire to play, which Sharapova didn't lose. We all hope Sharapova recovers soon and plays the 2020 Olympics", said Tarpischev.

Svetlana Kuznetsova is sidelined from the competition too, due to a knee injury. "Now I took a break and I enjoyed myself. Becoming a DJ or musician. But tennis is what I love and that hurts me. In the future, I would like to share my experience of life and sports. I may become a coach, in some way, I may stay in tennis. I may open a school but it takes time and effort. But per now I am ready to play."

Assessing her Australian Open run that ended against Ashleigh Barty in the fourth round, Sharapova said: "I thought I did a few things well. There is a lot of improvements to do. I need to serve better. That comes obviously, stems from the shoulder. That's an important aspect of this year. I'll be looking to do everything in order to keep it healthy."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2TYKI3x

No comments