Breaking News

Victoria Azarenka: 'I hate the walk' to Roland Garros' praised new court

Victoria Azarenka, set to meet Naomi Osaka in the second round of the French Open, talked about the brand new Simonne-Mathieu court, on which she played, “I think the court is really beautiful. I hate the walk. It's too long from the court. I think that logistically it should be thought through a little bit better, but the court is beautiful.

I think it's amazing for the crowd, you know, from the outside, from the inside. Very happy to see that expansion.

The way it plays, it's pretty good. You know, I feel like it's a little more open compared to Lenglen and especially to the new Chatrier. So it feels like the ball is moving a little bit more, but the court is beautiful.”

The World No. 43 also had her say on the recent Nike controversies. The American brand was recently criticized for having terminated the contract of some pregnant athletes, a situation which relates to Azarenka as she is one of the few women who have come back to the tour after giving birth, “I think it's individual cases that have been in the public. I personally did not have any bad experience. I felt very supported throughout my pregnancy from the company.

But I do believe that whoever was on the opposite side should be protected, and I think it's really important. And I hope to see and, you know, as I believe Nike did the statement, that they are going to -- they reviewed their policy and they continue to improve, and I think that's already the first step in change.

And I would definitely always support that type -- not innovation, let's put it that way, but that equality and protections that have to be in place.”

The Australian Open champion also talked soccer. The women’s World Cup is played this year in France, and Azarenka was asked about her opinion on it, “I've met a couple of girls, actually, though, you know, some of the events. And, you know, I always feel like especially the U.S. team, they've been so incredible with their results. It's kind of undeniable that they're the best, and it's really impressive to see.

So I got to chance to meet some of them and, you know, I'm a fan of those girls. They're really strong and powerful women. And what they're trying to do with the movement that they're creating, it's inspiring.

So I will always be supporting that, and I'm sure that people are going get a great treat with the women's World Cup being here.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2HJj96g

No comments