Breaking News

Heather Watson: Main Goal for 2020 is to Qualify for Tokyo Olympics

 British tennis star Heather Watson says she will train with fellow Brit Alex Ward prior to the season's first Grand Slam in Australia and that her main goal for 2020 is to qualify for the Tokyo Olympics, in an interview to Sky Sports.

Watson is currently ranked No. 102 in the world, down from her career-best ranking of No. 38 in 2015. But she ended the season with some good results - reaching the final of the WTA Tianjin Open in China in October - her last tournament of the season. She scored wins over 3 top 50 players in the tournament before going down to 59th ranked Swede Rebecca Peterson.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Watson says, "I have suffered ups and downs, but that's a sport. The last couple of years haven't been great for me but the last six months have been really good and I've started to find myself again, playing some really good tennis. I played really well (in Tianjin) and was in such a good place. I was really glad to finish the season on a high. It's a shame about the final because we had to play indoors and it was really slow which I didn't like at all, but that's all part of the game. Other than that, I'm really happy with how I've been playing and I hope to bring it to 2020 with me. The beginning of this year was bad so I was just literally trying to win a match, but I'm happy with where I'm at now and feeling very optimistic for next year. I've got no points to defend for the start of the year where I will be playing in Brisbane, Hobart and the Australian Open."

Watson says she wants to take her ranking to the Top 60 in order to ensure she qualifies for the Tokyo Olympics and she is also keen to play in the Fed Cup in February when Britain takes on Slovakia for a place in the newly formatted Fed Cup finals event in Belgium.

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/33OGwU1

No comments