Breaking News

Robin Soderling recalls his favorite Davis Cup e Stockholm Open memories

Former world No. 4 Robin Soderling admits he grew up watching the Davis Cup and dreaming that one day he would represent Sweden in the competition. 

Soderling, the current Swedish Davis Cup Team Captain, never won the Davis Cup title but he was the key in his nation's run to the Davis Cup semifinal in 2007. 

"I have many good memories from the Davis Cup. My first memory is actually from when Sweden met the USA in the final at the Scandinavium in Gothenburg in 1984," Soderling told the Stockholm Open. 

"I was 10 years old and ran around chasing autographs and dreamed of playing Davis cup myself one day. My most memorable memories as players are the away matches against Argentina and Belarus. 

"It was obviously really fun to play at home. But many times I felt that team cohesion got even better during away matches."

Soderling, who worked as a tournament director at the Stockholm Open for two years after retiring, never achieved his goal of winning it all at the Swedish indoor-hard court event. 

Soderling ended runner-up at the Stockholm Open in 2003 and 2008, while on two separate occasions he made the semifinal at the tournament. 

"My best Stockholm Open memory is when I as a 19 year old went to the final. Unfortunately, I lost the final by 7-6 in the decisive set. But the whole experience was fantastic. Just a few years earlier, I had been sitting at the stand and fantasizing about what it would feel like to play a final at the Stockholm Open before the full stands at the Royal Tennis Hall," Soderling said. 



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/3eFTA4x

No comments