Breaking News

I would have never expected Serena Williams losing, says John McEnroe

In an interview to Nine, the seven-time Grand Slam winner John McEnroe admitted he was surprised with seeing Serena Williams losing in three sets to Karolina Pliskova at the Australian Open. Serena came back from being a set and a break down. '6-4 3-2 down I just thought it was maybe not her day, at 37 sometimes you wake up and you do not feel as good as you normally did when you were in your 20s', said McEnroe. 'And then she took it to a third, that's classic Serena's comeback, but I would have never expected that point. To see her go out and lose six in a row, I don't know, there was a call that was a bit weird, then she spread her ankle and did not call the trainer. The way players approach that, I would have thought that maybe at 5-4 she may have called the trainer, she did not do that, she gave credit to Pliskova and she did handle  it well.'

McEnroe reteirated that Serena's priority is to equal Margaret Court's 24 crowns record: 'To me, all she cares is the Majors. She has almost tied Margaret Court, she is one away, she doesn't play a full schedule, she only played six tournaments I guess last year and I don't think she would play more this year. She maybe could have played one or two warm-up events, possibly a couple of exhibitions but that's gonna stay. I mean, what happened... I can't compare, she was better than I was. As you get older, you realize that you maybe have less opportunities and so you put more pressure on yourself. And it looked like in the end the pressure caught with her.'

ALSO READ: Djokovic would beat Roger Federer in Australian Open final - Evert

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2CQX2aE

No comments