Breaking News

Rafael Nadal: 'I suffered a lot for injuries, I don't want to suffer more'

Rafael Nadal arrived to Brisbane on Monday and he will start his campaign on Wednesday against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Thanasi Kokkinakis. Speaking to reporters, Nadal shared his excitement in being in the Queensland region again: 'Last year I did not have the chance to play and so very excited to comeback this year. I have good memories of 2017. Very friendly atmosphere, very nice people and great support from the event. It was fantastic, very familiar. I enjoyed, so looking forward to play here', said the 17-time Major winner.

Commenting on his most special memories of Brisbane, Nadal - who only made one appearance there in 2017 losing to Milos Raonic in the quarter-finals - added: 'First thing I remember is the day after I arrived I catched a koala, so a nice thing to do. I enjoyed, I walked around the canal during the night looking for restaurants. I want to take care of my body, doing things the right way and I hope this week will help me. It is frustrating to be injured for a long time so I want to take care of my body, I want to do the things the right way and I really hope this week I'm healthy.' I suffered a lot in terms of injury. I don’t want to suffer more. After a period of time off the court with some injuries it’s nice to be back. As I said a couple of days ago in Abu Dhabi, for me it’s important to keep doing steps forward, not making a step back.'

Nadal also commented on how playing in Abu Dhabi is useful to him: 'It has always been very helpful for the preparation. I think it reunites all the best conditions to adapt to the season starting in Melbourne. The atmosphere at the tournament is just perfect and it allows me to practice, play competitive tennis and have a good end enjoyable time as well.'

Nadal added: "I have played many times in Abu Dhabi and the ones I didn’t play it was because I was injured and couldn’t compete at this time of the year. I think it is the best preparation for the start of the new season in Australia because you get to play matches at the highest level possible at that time of the year. I have always enjoyed playing in Abu Dhabi and always felt relaxed and happy to play there. The crowds do enjoy tennis and as I say I feel comfortable.'

ALSO READ: Rafael Nadal: Worse players than David Ferrer won a Grand Slam title

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2F1glBk

No comments