Breaking News

Roger Federer: We will see a great Stan Wawrinka down the road

In a press conference in Indian Wells, Roger Federer commented on Stan Wawrinka's return to competition. The 33-year-old had knee surgery in August 2017 and he is trying to get to his highest level again. "He came from very far away," admitted Federer speaking of his compatriot. "Clearly he knew and I knew that he was not ready for the Australian Open, but he still wanted to give it a go. I was just hoping he'd get through the Australian Open uninjured, which he did, which I was happy for him. I really feel like he's been back at a normal level, let's say, around the US Open."

He added, "But obviously, his ranking was low, he was still maybe missing some fitness, you know, that day-to-day match fitness that you need, mental fitness that you require to bring it every single day. I think he was just missing it a little bit. But I think as the season wore on, he only got stronger, even though at the end he didn't play anymore because he didn't want to take a chance, which I totally understand. But I think, from what I'm gathering, if he's in no pain or injury-free, I think we will see a great Stan here, down the road, without a doubt, because I know what he can do. I think a lot of Stan. He's got all the different options on how to win points. He's a fighter and a winner. Yeah, I hope he's going to be in the top 20, top 10 very soon again."

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA https://ift.tt/2udXOu8

No comments