Breaking News

Bianca Andreescu: 'I was getting pretty mad at myself'

Bianca Andreescu bypassed Marie Bouzkova in the first round of Roland Garros, earning a clash against Sofia Kenin, an adversary known to the Canadian--but just on hard court. Unfortunately, the 18-year-old will not face the American during this Roland Garros: she has withdrawn from her doubles match on Wednesday, and consequently pulled out of the singles draw as well. Previously, the Canadian had played a three-hour long first-round match, split over two days.

"I was a little bit sore today. I'm not surprised because it's my first match in six weeks. All the nerves are kicking in again," Andreescu had said after the battle against Bouzkova.

When asked what strategy she used to get the better in a match that she recovered from one set down, the Indian Wells titleholder answered, “Put the ball in the court. Because I was missing a lot and she was getting every ball back. So my main objective was to just construct the point and get the right opportunities to go for my shots. [...]

But I got treatment and I'm feeling really well, actually, considering. Yeah, shoulder, it's really good and I'm really pleased. Just got to keep getting treatment and I'll be good. [...]

I'm not going to lie. This wasn't one of my best matches at all. I was getting pretty mad at myself.

But, I mean, it's my first tournament back after an injury, so I tried to stay as calm as possible. And I'm just really proud of how I fought through the match with the tennis I had.”

“I tried not to really focus on the match,” the 5’7’’ player confessed about how she managed the night that sawed her match. “Really, like, once I step off the court, I just want to do my thing, recover well, seek treatment.

My friend is here so she helped me take my mind off of the match so I can refocus the next day, which is this morning. And I kept my same routines today.

And I got a sense of how she played, so I had time to process that. And I spoke to my coach about better tactics to play today against her, and I think it really helped. [...]

When it comes to the third set, you have to put everything behind you, even if you win or lose a second set. You just have to -- well, this is what I do. I just try to focus like it's the start of the match again. I try to put everything behind me. And I just try to see what I did well in the first and second set and try to -- basically, whatever I did well, to just continue doing that in the third set, and really to never give up and just to stay very strong mentally.”

Continue reading...



from Tennis World USA http://bit.ly/2EGQmxB

No comments